We are now accepting submissions for the second annual Cidercraft Magazine Awards issue! Out in December, this issue will feature our judging panel’s top picks for cider and will announce the winners in print to more than 100,000 readers
New this year: we open the competition to submissions from around the world! No longer restricted to North American cider, the Cidercraft Awards are open to all ciders pertaining to the set submission categories. We are excited to do this as it is a harbinger for what is come with Cidercraft in 2019 — stay tuned!
The top four winning submissions of each category will be awarded medals (double gold, gold, silver and bronze), as well as three Judge’s Picks from our panel, creating the ultimate cider shopping guide for readers when the print issue is released in December. Plus, the issue will cover industry leaders, trends, restaurants, bars and products.
The ciders will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of leading cider palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of global cider and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of the continent’s oldest beverage.
If you are interested in submitting your cider to our blind tasting panel, please use the following rules for entry:
- Cost of entry is $55 USD for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted by check at the address listed below, or credit card by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*). The applicable fees must be paid with submission to be entered in the judging.
- Please fill out the linked submission form by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below directly into your browser**).
- Each form provides for up to five (5) submissions. If you are submitting more than five (5) products, submit one form and start a second (or third) until you are finished. The submission will not be entered in the judging if the form is not completed online.
- Send four (4) samples of each submission for 500ml or less, two (2) samples for 22oz or 750ml bottles, or one (1) growler.
- Do not send more than four (4) submissions per category. For example, if you produce multiple stone fruit ciders, please only submit four, as that is all that will be judged for that category.
- If a cider can apply to more than one category, it is allowable to submit it into both as individual submissions. If a single category is preferred, select the category in which the cider’s dominant characteristics would best fit.
- Pricing is based on suggested retail price for the full unit. If the cider only comes in 4-packs, please provide that price for the entire unit.
- The product must be currently available in October, November and December of 2018, or within the calendar year of
- Submission receiving deadline is Friday, September 14.
*Credit card payment link: https://cidercraftmag.com/products/cidercraft-awards/
THE CATEGORIES ARE:
- HERITAGE: Focused on the specific apple used, Old World-influenced. Typically made with multi-use apples (such as Russets, Baldwin, Gravenstein) or cider-specific fruit, resulting higher in tannin and acid. Fermented slower, typically three or more months.
- MODERN: Can be focused on specific apples, although usually with culinary/table apples; fresh, New World-style. Faster ferment, typically one month or less.
- HERITAGE PERRY: 100% fermented pear, made from pear varieties grown specifically for perry production.
- MODERN PERRY: 100% fermented pear, made from culinary/table pears and can be labeled as pear cider as long as it is all pear juice. Blended pear and apple ciders go in the Fruit category.
- SOUR: Ciders made intentionally sour using non-standard yeast and/or bacterial fermentation; including sidra and sidra-style.
- STONE FRUIT: Cider base infused or co-fermented with stone fruit, such as cherry, apricot, plum, etc.
- FRUIT: Cider base infused or co-fermented with other fruits, such as pear, berry, tropical fruit, etc.
- HOPPED: Cider base that has hops added.
- OAK-AGED: Ciders aged in or with oak.
- SINGLE VARIETAL: A showcase of one varietal; must be 80% varietal.
- SPICED/BOTANICAL: Cider base infused with ginger, spices, herbs, etc.
- SPECIALTY: A catchall category for unique blends, ultimately a cider base infused with any specialty ingredients such as squash, coffee, rhubarb, peppers, etc.
- STILL: Cider without any carbonation, natural or forced.
- DESSERT/FORTIFIED: Ice cider, late harvest, pommeau-style or other styles with spirits added.
Ship all entries and check payment to the following address:
1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E
Seattle, WA 98103
For in-person delivery, please email CIDERCRAFTAwards@sippublishing.com.
Cidercraft magazine is an award-winning publication exclusively covering the international phenomenon of cider and its thriving culture. Please join us in finding the best of the year to highlight and showcase in this issue. Thank you!